Facts About St Ouen
St Ouen is the largest of the 12 Jersey parishes by area, occupying the north-west corner of the Island. The patron saint of Normandy, St Ouen, founded a religious centre here shortly before the Viking invasions of the Island. His symbol is a gold cross on a blue background, as a reminder of a vision he had of a miraculous cross. The parish emblem is seen above the entrance to the Parish Hall and can also be found on many of the road name signs.
St Ouen's church was mentioned in a document signed by William before he conquered England, so part of the parish church building may predate 1066. St Ouen is one of the western parishes where the church bells are rung by parishioners and others on Christmas Day. The daughter church of St George was built in 1880 in the north of the parish.
The Parish Hall is situated in the heart of the village, which is about half a mile away from the church. The war memorial is in the forecourt of the hall. Next to the Parish Hall is the old school, now used as a Youth and Community Centre. Les Landes Primary School is located near St George's Church.
Parishioners of St. Ouen are referred to as 'St. Ouennais'. The parish has its own magasine 'Le Gris Ventre', so-called because this was the nick-name for parishioners. It translates 'grey belly' due to the colour of the Jersey jumper worn by parishioners temps passe.